Friday 27 July 2012

New Chickens



We enlisted the help of Modou to head back to Serekunda market to find a new hen. The chicken lady insisted that we needed a rooster for them to lay eggs. I tried giving her the analogy of human females ovulating without a male. She commenced laughing in my face, OK, thats fine maybe I really have no idea. 6AM!!! That stupid bird start crowing, let me paint a picture. 10 foot Concrete compound walls completely surround the house, majority of the yard is covered in concrete tiles, concrete house, tile floors. This is the Carnegie Hall for a rooster, the acoustics are superb, the echo of each proceeding crow is immediately followed by the crescendo of yet another. This guy is rocking the house, joined by a chorus of numerous other cocks in the neighborhood. I almost had to restrain Nikki from taking action  with a machete. It took 20 minutes of me, Thor, and the gardener  chasing the little bastard around the compound to catch and bag him. Taxi back to the market and return with a hen, eggs the very next day. Yummy.

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, LOVE this blog! I can't tell you how much I admire both of you. You both live such a full, rich life! Incredible! Love the pictures, too! Keep it coming!!!

    ReplyDelete