Thursday 8 January 2015

Two Wheel Therapy


A few weeks after arriving to Kampala I convinced Nikki to let me buy a motorcycle to get around on. This way she can take the car to work and stay as late as she needs and I can have transport wherever I need to go. So after a week or so of searching I found a 30 year old Honda 200cc dirt bike. This turned out to be both a learning experience and a wonderful idea. The learning experience being that I have owned a couple motorcycles but they were much newer and vastly different. The mechanic that was recommended to me doesn't speak a lick of english so there is a lot of noise making and gesticulations to get my point across. Finding decent parts is also quite a challenge. The plus side is that I feel very comfortable on a motorcycle in this city, everyone I meet asks why I am not terrified which might be a valid question but I don't really know how to answer it. I am more relaxed riding a motorcycle weaving through stopped traffic than sitting in a car stuck in perpetual traffic jams. Possibly the best part is that no matter what kind of mood I am in after 30 seconds on the bike I am instantly in a great mood. Cheapest form of therapy I can think of.



No comments:

Post a Comment